Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Sculptor


He sits by the window, a portly figure
the afternoon train hot, sweaty, beleagured.

People yawn, doze, mostly resigned,
Some hum, daydream, they pass their time.
But one man has a purpose, he has a mission,
he is about to embark on a sculpting session.

He suddenly plunges, a furious spree,
Digging, probing, to get it free.
Will he get it out? the suspense is mounting,
the boy opposite watches, he has been counting.

Ahh, its free! The raw material is here,
the sculptor looks relieved, now with cheer.

The fingers deft, give it a shape,
squeezing, flattening, the boy is agape.
Fierce concentration, the image takes hold,
The boy counts, thats the third one rolled.

He watches his creation, a suspicious glance,
As if it appeared in his fingers by chance,
A thing of beauty, a work of art,
a pinch, a flick, its time to part.

The sculptor relaxes, his job is done,
the difficult part is, picking the right one.

5 comments:

Ameya said...

Didn't take more than a second to guess what you are upto this time. All I could think of is one of our esteemed hindi teachers at her sculpting best

Ess said...

if i am guessing it correctly... then u rock!!!
kashya varhi kahihi lihitos...aani jhakaas lihitos.

Anonymous said...

Pick n pee ah! absolute glee
what else can be expected frm thee?

SOO-BEER said...

lachhu pehlwaan !!!!
:)

Shweta Aroskar said...

Very well written:)

Do the lines mean...

Slave of my passion
You were meant to be
Looking at the world
'Way I would see

See what I did
To myself here
Last sense I had
I put in there

World thinks high
Of the master in me
I'm slaved for life
Till you turn in my
Sense to see....