Friday, February 25, 2005

Caps Shift


According to a team of researchers in Thailand, the capital Bangkok has moved nine centimeters (3.5 inches) to the south-west since the huge Indian Ocean earthquake in December. The seismologists claimed that such shifts often take place after major quakes and do not affect local people.

I beg to differ.

With the whole city shifting by 9 cms, all the people in the city are now displaced from their original homes. So Bangkok, is now a city of 'internally displaced' refugees. Quite like Darfur.

GhaatSpaat correspondents talked to some locals to see their reactions.

"I do feel a bit out of place", was the reaction of Mr. Pad Prig who runs a prawns shop in the city.

Kwan Moon, 58, blames the civic officials. "Will you tell them to stop moving the city? I feel giddy enough from the spinning earth anyway."
She is also looking for companionship.

Coomar Mangal, who is of Indian ancestry commented on the south-western shift. "I feel closer to India now", he proclaimed.

In the surrounding areas of Bangkok, people were pleasantly surprised to find nine centimeters added to their land. Ayng Pyongak who has a paddy field on the outskirts of the city was available for comment.
"My dog peed there anyway ", was his enthusiastic reaction.

In any case, this shift is miniscule compared to when the entire village of Nirali-Dhani, Gujarat shifted 7200 miles to Edison, New Jersey in 1987.

I personally, am keeping my bags packed in case Syracuse decides to shift somewhere. They aren't going anywhere without me!

2 comments:

Gaurav said...

There was yet another shift across the oceans. Hyderabad shifted to San Jose, CA.

Very informative articles I might add!

Advaitavedanti said...

lol. I wonder if B'lore's shifted too. The weather ain't as good as it used to be! :)

(btw: I'm Ameya's friend)